Pride of the Union Awards
During the CFT Convention the EC/TK-12 Council presents its popular Pride of the Union Awards.The awards offer a wonderful way to honor active members in local unions. The EC/TK-12 Council encourages local unions to enter and encourages discussion of these awards among local executive boards.
There are five categories in the Pride of the Union Awards that accept nominations. Locals may submit one nomination per category. The council also bestows an honorary award — the Raoul Teilhet Educate, Agitate, Organize Award. The recipient is chosen by the council.
- Dedicated Unionist – For that unsung hero in the local who has demonstrated dogged devotion to union principles and union grunt work over the long haul.
- Educational Issues – The local may nominate an individual, a program or a school for such accomplishments as innovative curriculum, exemplary instructional techniques, an outstanding education program, restructuring and reform successes, or effective professional development.
- Emerging Union Leadership – We are looking for that outstanding new union leader in the local.
- Political Involvement – This will go to a local that has demonstrated success in the areas of legislative issues, labor council and coalition involvement, COPE membership, and local elections.
- Union Activism – This will be awarded to a CFT local that has demonstrated strong leadership in the area of teacher defense, contract innovation and negotiations, grassroots membership involvement, strong infrastructure, and general excellence.
If you have questions about the awards program, email Rico Tamayo, president of the EC/TK-12 Council.