The Federation takes positions on legislative bills about educational issues, as well as social, economic and cultural issues that underlie the union’s mission and guiding philosophy for legislation. The CFT Legislative Department prepares and regularly updates the Legislative Report, which contains the status of CFT-sponsored bills and CFT positions on all bills of interest to the Federation.
This comprehensive document contains a listing of CFT positions on bills in the current legislative session. It also tracks the progress and status of CFT-sponsored bills in the Legislature. The positions taken in the Legislative Report are listed and described below.
- Support: CFT agrees with the policy provisions, and will work to support the bill in the legislative process.
- Oppose: CFT does not support the bill, and will work to defeat the bill in the legislative process.
- Watch: May mean that the bill has both good and bad points, or that CFT prefers to wait for future amendments or a later time to take a position.
- Oppose unless amended: CFT does not support the bill, but would remove opposition if key amendments are made. If these amendments are made, CFT’s position will then be modified to a “support” or “watch” position.
- Support if amended: CFT will support a bill if specific amendments are made to the bill’s provisions. As these bills develop, staff will recommend a position to the Legislative Committee, a standing committee of the Executive Council, in accordance with guidelines established by the CFT Convention.
Legislator scorecards track vote
How do legislators vote on bills that matter to union members? In each legislative session, the CFT and the California Labor Federation, the statewide AFL-CIO, tally how legislators voted on bills of import to union members. You can download recent scorecards to learn how your elected officials are voting.
California Labor Federation Legislative Scorecard Similarly, legislators may earn a 100 percent labor voting record from the California Labor Federation. Labor’s legislative scorecard provides a statewide overview on all labor legislation.