Treasurer Training – Online Series
Financial stewardship & leadership for a strong local union
Registration will open soon for the virtual training series. Stay tuned!
This comprehensive training will put you at ease and provide you practical tools to effectively carry out your role and responsibilities as a local union treasurer. It is designed specifically for AFT local union treasurers of all levels of experience whose responsibilities include the union’s financial records and reports. However, local presidents and formula-funded staff are also welcome to attend.
Using a hands-on format, accounting experts will share examples of best practices essential in union administration. In addition to financial topics, this course will cover the strategies and leadership skills necessary to building an effective union with the ability to achieve gains for our members and our students. We will also cover the latest changes in law.
LEARN HOW TO:
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of officers, including the treasurer
- Calculate and pay AFT and CFT per capitas
- Define and manage governmental compliance (IRS reporting, Department of Labor, etc.)
- Prepare and manage the union’s annual budget
- Manage fair share payer requirements, including Hudson
- Learn COPE requirements and procedures
- Implement sound financial controls and accounting practices
- Make a strategic plan to align your union’s programs and financial resources with an organizing approach that will strengthen the union’s ability to accomplish its goals
Who should attend?
This course is open to individuals who handle the local finances and who are approved by the president or local union executive board.
When and where?
The five-part training will be held online from Monday through Friday in the late afternoon.
What to have close at hand?
A laptop or tablet will be helpful for some work in this course.
What is the cost?
There is no cost for the online Treasurer Training.