Deputy Executive Director
Approximate start date: Early 2022
Location: Based in the CFT Bay Area (Berkeley) or Sacramento office
Salary range: $155,000–$165,000 annual salary plus full employee fringe benefit package including health, dental, and vision plans and retirement program
Deadline to apply: Open until filled
The CFT is the California affiliate of the AFT, AFL-CIO representing education workers in public and private schools and colleges, from early childhood through higher education. The Deputy Executive Director, under the direction of the Executive Director, is to support and manage the field program including day-to-day management of field representatives and the organizing program. The Deputy Executive Director provides support for the collective bargaining and organizing goals of union members and local unions and to execute the strategic goals of the CFT. Frequent evening and weekend work, as well as travel for union activities, is required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support and management of the CFT field and organizing programs.
- Coordinate and work closely with CFT departments including training, political, legislative, research and communications to support local union contract and bargaining goals and the strategic goals of the CFT.
- Work with CFT leadership and the Executive Director to convene and direct the efforts of multi-functional teams of CFT staff and/or leaders to support strategic and local collective bargaining goals of CFT.
- Facilitate meetings of multi-functional teams with emphasis on collaborative decision-making, follow through and accountability.
- Direct and manage CFT staff in the implementation of CFT’s strategic goals.
- Make recommendations regarding the necessary staff and budgetary resources required to support CFT locals, member organizing goals, and carry out the CFT’s mission.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrated five years experience directing, supervising, managing, and evaluating a large and diverse staff
- Experience in the labor movement, preferably in California
- Experience as a field representative representing members
- Experience with union organizing drives and member organizing
- Knowledge and experience in the American labor movement, its structure, philosophy and goals
- Knowledge of California Education Code and practice of collective bargaining
- Experience negotiating contracts and labor agreements
- Demonstrated experience organizing and representing members and non-union workers
- Knowledge of public and private sector labor laws
- Knowledge of critical issues facing education and public sectors in California and the United States
- Knowledge of key issues facing the U.S. labor movement
- Ability to facilitate team meetings and trainings including agenda setting, collaborative decision making, task follow through, and evaluation
- Ability to work independently in a high pressure and face paced environment
- Ability to communicate effectively while working under pressure and to make public presentations to audiences in a range of venues
- Ability to take charge and to direct, develop and coordinate activities and campaigns
- Ability to render judgments, make decisions, and take appropriate action
- Ability to accurately and coherently edit and evaluate correspondence, charges, grievances, flyers, and bargaining language
- Ability to coordinate the ongoing functions of several task groups simultaneously
- Ability to develop imaginative approaches to complex issues and challenges
- Ability to coach, mentor, support and guide staff and leaders
- Ability to analyze budgets
- Current California driver’s license
- Previous experience in similar position
- Approachable, respectful, and collaborative management style
- Empathetic, honest, inspiring, and emotional intelligence
To Apply for the Position
- Submit letter of application, résumé and writing samples to:
CFT – A Union of Educators and Classified Employees
Sarah Callahan, Executive Director
2001 Center Street, Suite 600
Berkeley, CA 94704
510-523-5238, 510-523-5262 fax
- CFT requires proof of vaccination as a condition of employment.
- Applications and accompanying information may also be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The CFT is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.