- CFT United is the CFT’s all-union magazine that contains information relevant to members including a section specific to the issues of classified employees.
- Classified Insider contains valuable news and information about the workplace issues of California classified employees and paraprofessionals and is emailed to members.
- AFT PSRP Reporter is part of AFT’s Voices blog and covers issues of relevance to classified employees and support staff nationwide.
- AFT PSRP email contains news and information for classified employee and paraeducator members of the AFT Paraprofessional and School-Related Personnel (PSRP) division.
- AFT Early Childhood Education provides early educators national news and helpful workplace information.
- Learn more about the officers of the Council of Classified Employees on this flyer.
- Learn how you can get involved in the Council of Classified Employees and the larger CFT on this flyer.
- Be a UNIONIST – United in Fighting for Fairness, Prosperity, Justice, Equality. Post this colorful piece in your workplace!
Know Your Rights
- is a comprehensive 40-page analysis of the California Education Code as it relates to classified employees and paraprofessionals covers topics such as hours of employment, vacation and leaves, refusal to perform unsafe work and collective bargaining rights, plus the federal Family and Medical Leave Act. It also contains your Weingarten Rights.
- This concise booklet produced by the Department of Industrial Relations/Cal-OSHA outlines the injury and illness prevention program required by your employer under the California Labor Code, your right to a workplace inspection, your right to refuse hazardous work, and your right to obtain documents and records.
Classified School Employee Week
Once a year, we make an extra effort to celebrate the support staff and paraprofessionals who help our early childhood centers, schools, and colleges succeed. Classified School Employee Week is the time to showcase our work. It is celebrated during the third full week in May of each year. The next Classified School Employee Appreciation Week is May 15-21, 2022.
CalPERS is the retirement system for numerous groups of public employees in California, including many members of the classified service. The CCE monitors CalPERS actions and sends a representative to its board meetings. The liaison to CalPERS is Mike O’Neill, a bus driver and member of the Jefferson AFT Federation of Teachers, AFT Local 1481.
Classified Voice in Community Colleges
The Consultation Council of the California community colleges comprises 18 representatives who have an opportunity to advise the chancellor and board of governors on state policy decisions. Thanks to successful CFT-sponsored legislation, classified staff have two seats on the council. The CFT representative on the Consultation Council is Luukia Smith, CFT Secretary Treasurer and a former classified employee.