Safe and Supportive Schools Committee
The Safe and Supportive Schools Committee monitors issues and activities relating to school safety, as well as state and federal statutes and regulatory policies that relate to school environments.
- Track developments related to Positive Behavioral Intervention & Support (PBIS), restorative justice, community schools, and Cal-OSHA’s workplace violence prevention standard-setting process.
- Provide advice to CFT legislative staff on these issues and testify on behalf of the CFT before state legislative bodies.
- Monitor issues and activities relating to school safety at the State Board of Education, the California Department of Education, and other state education agencies.
- Review existing policy and make recommendations to CFT governance bodies.
- Organize workshops and produce materials to ensure that CFT locals and members have the information to be effective advocates locally on school safety issues.
- Gather local action regarding school climate in order to provide resources and best practices for local unions.
L. Cynthia Matthews, Co-Chair, United Teachers
Rachel Santos, Co-Chair, ABC Federation of Teachers
Anthony Arinwine, United Educators of San Francisco
Sharon Arthur, Berkeley Federation of Teachers
Sarah Burkhart, Salinas Valley Federation of Teachers
Rendell Drew, Coast Federation of Educators
Veronica Lopez, Los Rios College Federation of Teachers
Diana Middleton, ABC Federation of Teachers
Troy Pierce, AFT College Staff Guild-Los Angeles
Matthew Ring, AFT Guild, San Diego and Grossmont-Cuyamaca Community Colleges
Wendy Temblador, Pajaro Valley Federation of Teachers
Jennifer Villaryo, United Teachers Los Angeles
Stacie Webster, United Teachers Los Angeles
Kassi Hawkins, Staff Liaison