State Council Summit – CANCELED
With election year training intensive and Division Councils
- The State Council Summit has been canceled due to the threat of coronavirus. The CFT is taking the COVID-19 spread very seriously and is following the guidance of state and local agencies that have the professional and scientific background to guide us.
- Please cancel your travel and hotel reservations for March 20-21 as soon as possible. Most airlines are waiving any fees, and if you have a Southwest Airlines ticket, you can use those funds for a future flight.
- Regarding hotel reservations at the Hilton Oakland Airport, if you booked a room yourself, please cancel asap so you aren’t charged for the hotel stay. The CFT is unable to automatically cancel reservations that you made individually (or that your local union made on your behalf). If you have any difficulties and want assistance from the CFT, please email Angelica Vargas.
- Telephone the hotel at telephone 510-635-5000.
- On the Hilton Oakland Airport website, click on “My Reservations” in the upper left.
- CFT will be hosting some online Zoom meetings March 20-21, but there will not be a full State Council meeting via Zoom. The CFT is working to reschedule the full State Council Summit for May 1-2 and merge the conference component, State Council, division councils, and committees over those two days.
- Watch this page for updates. Also, if you registered online for State Council Summit, you will receive email updates.
Our State Council Summit will bring members together in advance of our work to help transform the political landscape in November 2020. This event provides an opportunity to hear invited speakers, attend useful workshops, and get important legal updates that will keep your knowledge current and sharpen your skills as union leaders. The conference is being held in conjunction with Division Council meetings and State Council, the policymaking body of CFT in between Conventions.
9 a.m. Registration
11 a.m. Opening Plenary
12 p.m. Lunch
1 p.m. Workshops
2:30 p.m. Workshops
4 p.m. Legal Panel & Discussion
5:30 p.m. Plenary
6 p.m. Dinner Program
8 p.m. DJ and Dancing
8 a.m. Breakfast
9 a.m. State Council – Opening Session
10 a.m. Division Councils
- EC/TK-12 Council
- Council of Classified Employees
- Community College Council
- University Council-AFT
- Council of Retired Members
12 p.m. Lunch
1 p.m. Division Councils, continued
3 p.m. State Council – Concluding Session
5 p.m. Adjourn
Tentative Speakers and Workshops
- Nikki Fortunato Bas, Oakland City Councilmember and former Executive Director, East Bay Alliance for a Sustainable Economy (EBASE)
- Kathryn Lybarger, President, California Labor Federation and President, AFSCME Local 3299
- Using Art to Win
- Getting the Most Out of Social Media
- Running a Successful Local Political Campaign
- Union Members From the Start: New Employee Orientations
- Applying Racial and Gender Equity Lenses to Connect the Dots Between Implicit Bias and Systemic Oppression
- Bargaining for the Common Good: Winning Big and Redefining Unions
About State Council
Between Conventions, the State Council makes decisions for the Federation. All locals may send delegates to State Council. It meets twice yearly. Policy positions discussed and voted on at meetings of the Division Councils earlier in the day may be ratified by the general membership at the State Council.
State Council also sits as the CFT Committee on Political Education, or COPE, and reviews ballot propositions and political candidates and their positions on issues. Through COPE, the CFT participates actively in the campaigns of endorsed candidates.
State Council Travel Reimbursement
To assist local unions in sending one representative to the State Council, the CFT reimburses travel expenses based on local membership. The reimbursement is defined in the CFT Constitution & Bylaws (Section 8, Travel Reimbursement for State Council) as follows:
Number of local members
1000 or more
600 to 999
Fewer than 600
- A local shall be in good standing to receive the reimbursement.
- The CFT will reimburse only one delegate per local.
- Transportation costs include airfare, parking, and mileage to and from the airport. Where airfare is available, mileage is to be no more than airfare. CFT reimburses for mileage at the current IRS rate.
- Meals are not reimbursed.
- To obtain reimbursement for travel expenses to State Council, locals may complete and submit this Expense Reimbursement Request form. All receipts necessary for reimbursement must be included and sent to the Burbank office. The signature of the local president is required.
About Division Councils
Division Councils meet regularly to share information and to formulate policy proposals for constituents, and oftentimes the larger CFT. It’s important to send a representative from your local union to attend these meetings of the union’s Division Councils so your local can be part of the decision-making. All members are welcome to attend. Agendas will emailed to constituent local unions.