Unemployment Benefits
State unemployment insurance and CFT's guide to benefits


Unemployment Insurance

unemployment benefits

The California Unemployment Insurance program pays benefits to workers who have lost their job and meet the program’s eligibility requirements. If you have become unemployed, you may file an unemployment claim.

After you have filed a claim, you must continue to certify for benefits and meet eligibility requirements in order for the Employment Development Department (EDD) to pay you benefits. 

CFT Guide to Unemployment Benefits

In 1989, San Francisco’s AFT Local 2121 won a landmark legal victory that affirmed community college part-time faculty may qualify for unemployment benefits in the periods before or after summer session, during winter break, or if the teacher does not have a summer or fall assignment or another job.

In Cervisi v. California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, the California Court of Appeals agreed with AFT Local 2121 that a teaching assignment contingent on enrollment, funding, program changes or bumping by a full-time faculty member is not a “reasonable assurance” of employment, and that part-time temporary instructors may therefore be eligible for unemployment benefits.

To assist members in the application process, the CFT Part-Time Faculty Committee has prepared a step-by-step guide to applying for unemployment benefits.