State Council Summit
With election year training intensive and Division Councils
Our State Council Summit in Oakland will bring members together in advance of our work to help transform the political landscape in November 2020. We have a day of powerful training planned combined with the policymaking opportunity of State Council.
The Friday program will include two plenary sessions, a set of workshops, and helpful legal updates. On Saturday, the Division Councils and State Council will meet.
Register Your Attendance
Note: The CFT reimburses partial travel expenses for State Council representation based on local membership. Please read State Council Travel Reimbursement below.
Reserve Hotel Rooms
The room rate is $149. The deadline to reserve rooms at the CFT rate is February 28.
The summit will be held at the Hilton Oakland Airport.
- If you arriving by plane, fly into Oakland International Airport (OAK). The hotel is only one mile from the airport and there is complimentary shuttle service between the hotel and airport. The shuttle runs every 20 minutes, starting on the hour.
- If you are arriving by car, you may find driving directions below.
FRIDAY, MARCH 20
9 a.m. Registration
11 a.m. Opening Plenary: The Challenges Ahead and Stakes in the 2020 Election
12 p.m. Lunch
1 p.m. Workshops
2:30 p.m. Legal Panel & Discussion
4 p.m. Closing Plenary
6 p.m. Reception and Union Social
8 p.m. DJ and Dancing
SATURDAY, MARCH 21
8 a.m. Breakfast
9 a.m. State Council – Opening Session
10 a.m. Division Councils
- EC/TK-12 Council
- Council of Classified Employees
- Community College Council
- University Council-AFT
- Council of Retired Members
12 p.m. Lunch
1 p.m. Division Councils, continued
3 p.m. State Council – Concluding Session
5 p.m. Adjourn
About State Council
Between Conventions, the State Council makes decisions for the Federation. All locals may send delegates to State Council. It meets twice yearly. Policy positions discussed and voted on at meetings of the Division Councils earlier in the day may be ratified by the general membership at the State Council.
State Council also sits as the CFT Committee on Political Education, or COPE, and reviews ballot propositions and political candidates and their positions on issues. Through COPE, the CFT participates actively in the campaigns of endorsed candidates.
State Council Travel Reimbursement
To assist local unions in sending one representative to the State Council, the CFT reimburses travel expenses based on local membership. The reimbursement is defined in the CFT Constitution & Bylaws (Section 8, Travel Reimbursement for State Council) as follows:
Number of local members
1000 or more
600 to 999
Fewer than 600
- A local shall be in good standing to receive the reimbursement.
- The CFT will reimburse only one delegate per local.
- Transportation costs include airfare, parking, and mileage to and from the airport. Where airfare is available, mileage is to be no more than airfare.
- Meals are not reimbursed.
- To obtain reimbursement for travel expenses to State Council, locals may complete and submit this Expense Reimbursement Request form. All receipts necessary for reimbursement must be included and sent to the Burbank office. The signature of the local president is required.
About Division Councils
Division Councils meet regularly to share information and to formulate policy proposals for constituents, and oftentimes the larger CFT. It’s important to send a representative from your local union to attend these meetings of the union’s Division Councils so your local can be part of the decision-making. All members are welcome to attend. Agendas will emailed to constituent local unions.