Part-Time Faculty Conference
Join us in Sacramento for CFT’s Part-Time Faculty Conference
Under the theme “Equity for Contingent Faculty,” this CFT conference will bring together contingent faculty in the community colleges, the University of California, and at private universities to focus on workplace issues, legislative advocacy, and our campaign to secure healthcare for part-time faculty in the community colleges. The Part-Time Faculty Conference will be held May 1-2.
- Download the advance program
- Our Sunday program at the Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel will feature plenaries and workshops highlighting best practices, challenges, and legislative priorities.
- On Monday, we move to The Sutter Club where attendees will meet with legislators to advocate for the $200 million allocated in the state budget for part-time faculty healthcare and other key legislation. Note: The Sutter Club has a dress code and does not allow jeans, t-shirts, shorts, flip flops or tank tops to be worn. Please plan your wardrobe accordingly.
SUNDAY, MAY 1
All at the Sheraton Grand.
10 am Registration opens
11 am – Noon Lunch is served
Noon General Session I
1:10 pm Workshop Session I
- Healthcare Bargaining: Tools, Strategy and Coordination (repeats)
- Organizing: Building Local Union Power (repeats)
- Legislative Priorities
2:30 pm General Session II
3:55 pm Workshop Session II
- Healthcare Bargaining: Tools, Strategy and Coordination
- Organizing: Building Local Union Power
- Communications: Campaign Messaging and Storytelling
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
5:20 pm General Session III
7 pm Dinner
8 pm Union Social
MONDAY, MAY 2
Breakfast and training at the Sheraton Grand, lobbying program at The Sutter Club, about a 10-minute walk from the hotel. Note: The Sutter Club has a dress code and does not allow jeans, t-shirts, shorts, flip flops or tank tops to be worn. There are also restrictions on cell phone use.
7 am – 8:30 am Breakfast served
8:30 am Training – Effective Lobbying
10 am Group photo then move to the Sutter Club —1220 9th Street, Sacramento 95814
11 am – 3 pm Lobby Day Program and Luncheon
This program will be conducted at the Sutter Club, with legislators joining us for group conversations. Some groups of three will also visit legislative offices in the nearby Capitol Annex to conduct lobby visits.
2 pm Wrap Up
3 pm Adjourn
There are two workshop sessions on Sunday. You will be asked to sign up for specific workshops when you register your attendance with the CFT. Please note that the first two workshops listed below repeat in both sessions. Please note: The Shared Governance workshop was canceled.
Healthcare Bargaining: Tools, Strategy and Coordination
This workshop will provide members with an overview of strategic planning with a focus on developing a plan for a healthcare bargaining campaign. Participants will work with a practical tool that can be applied to any campaign.
Organizing: Building Local Union Power
Our unions are only as strong as our members are organized. In this workshop, we will address the foundational importance of high union membership, internal activism, and leadership development as the source of union power. We will also address the practical applications of one-on-one conversations, identifying and overcoming obstacles, and gaining the relevant organizing tools for building our union. The secret of power is organization!
In this training we will discuss the CFT legislative and budget priorities impacting part-time faculty as well as providing the resources and tools for effective member engagement both in Sacramento and in the district to achieve victory.
Communications: Campaign Messaging and Storytelling
Learn how to effectively communicate to support and strengthen our campaign for equity for part-time faculty, including words and concepts that empower us to communicate from a place of strength. Practice putting our campaign themes into your own personal words.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
In this workshop you will hear examples of community college local union work to advance racial and social justice, and situate part-time faculty’s systemic marginalization within the broader social and economic context.
- If you are arriving by airplane, you will fly into Sacramento International Airport (SMF).
- The Sheraton Grand is 12 miles from the airport.
- There is a public transit express bus from the airport to the hotel.
- Sacramento Regional Transit District (SacRT) Route 142 runs an express shuttle bus service from the airport to the downtown every 20-30 minutes, 7 days a week. Bus fare is $2.50. Masks may be required to ride public transit. Service begins at 4:45 am and operates until 11:29 pm.
- At the airport, look for the SacRT bus stop at either terminal. Downtown, you will get off at the J & 11th bus stop and walk half a block to the Sheraton Grand.
- You can check the schedule and map at www.Sacrtairport.com.
- Taxis and rideshare are also available from the airport. It’s about 20 minutes by car to the Sheraton Grand.
- Sheraton Grand Sacramento Hotel, 1230 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95814
- The Sutter Club, 1220 9th St, Sacramento, CA 95814
COVID Safety Protocols
CFT COVID safety protocols will be in place during the conference.
- Attendees will be required to upload proof of vaccination in advance of the conference. A booster is recommended. Attendees will receive an email from CFT with upload instructions.
- If you have already uploaded your vaccination card to CFT, you will not be required to do so again.
- Rapid antigen COVID tests will be administered on-site. Please allow an additional 20 minutes upon arrival to the registration area to complete the test.
- Masks must be worn at all times unless actively eating or drinking.
The State Capitol’s COVID protocols will determine the parameters of in-person lobbying.
Registration & Hotel Reservations Closed
- Registration for the conference has closed.
- The deadline to reserve rooms at the Sheraton Grand (at the CFT group rate) was April 15.
- If you need further assistance, or if you still need accommodations, please contact Leticia Castro.