Treasurer Training – In Person
Financial stewardship & leadership for a strong local union
Registration for the in-person Treasurer Training has closed. However, CFT will offer a five-part Treasurer Training online series from November 15-19. Registration will open for the virtual training series soon. Stay tuned!
This comprehensive training will put you at ease and provide you practical tools to effectively carry out your role and responsibilities as a local union treasurer. It is designed specifically for AFT local union treasurers of all levels of experience whose responsibilities include the union’s financial records and reports. However, local presidents and formula-funded staff are also welcome to attend. Registration is limited to 25 participants.
Using a hands-on format, accounting experts will share examples of best practices essential in union administration. In addition to financial topics, this course will cover the strategies and leadership skills necessary to building an effective union with the ability to achieve gains for our members and our students. We will also cover the latest changes in law.
LEARN HOW TO:
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of officers, including the treasurer
- Calculate and pay AFT and CFT per capitas
- Define and manage governmental compliance (IRS reporting, Department of Labor, etc.)
- Prepare and manage the union’s annual budget
- Manage fair share payer requirements, including Hudson
- Learn COPE requirements and procedures
- Implement sound financial controls and accounting practices
- Make a strategic plan to align your union’s programs and financial resources with an organizing approach that will strengthen the union’s ability to accomplish its goals
Who should attend?
This course is open to individuals who handle the local finances and who are approved by the president or local union executive board.
When and where?
The training will start at 11 am on Wednesday and end at 4 pm on Thursday.
What to bring?
A laptop of tablet will be helpful for some work in this course. If you do not have access to one, the course will work in teams and computers will be shared.
What is the cost?
The CFT covers the cost of training materials, food, and one night of lodging per local. Local unions are responsible for only the cost of travel to and from Los Angeles. Registrants will receive an email from the CFT about hotel accommodations.