Your Workplace Rights During COVID
Learn your legal rights during the pandemic in this quick guide to California benefits. AFT has also prepared bulletins for educators and staff — preK-12 through higher education. Find complete information in our Pandemic Toolkit.
Supplemental Paid Sick Leave
- See our comprehensive section about paid COVID sick leave, which is currently available to workers until September 30, 2022.
Emergency Temporary Standard
- See our comprehensive section about the Cal/OSHA Emergency Temporary Standard passed during the pandemic. The revised ETS is in effect until December 31, 2022.
- In general, workplace safety and health regulations in California require employers to protect workers exposed to airborne infectious diseases such as the coronavirus.
- See our comprehensive section about the Workers’ Comp presumption passed during the pandemic. The new state law deems COVID-related illness an occupational injury.
Employment Development Department
- The EDD provides updates about sickness, quarantine, caregiving, potential closure or reduced work hours and the type of assistance you can receive.
Labor & Workforce Development Agency
- This helpful table lists benefits available for California workers during the pandemic. It includes current and expired benefits for quick comparison.
AFT Bulletins & Guidance
The AFT has compiled helpful information for educators and support staff that outline your rights at work regarding the coronavirus pandemic.