Student Application Portal
Applications accepted now from continuing college students
Applicants may find complete information about scholarship eligibility and our new streamlined online application below. Both applications are open for six months. The CFT accepts only online applications.
Applications and Deadlines
HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS — Apply
Application opens: June 15, 2021
Deadline to apply: December 15, 2021
CONTINUING COLLEGE STUDENTS — Apply starting
Applications open: December 15, 2021
Deadline to apply: June 15, 2022
When you click on the application links above, you will be asked you to create a log-in for the application portal. Please keep track of your username and password. Once you have a log-in, you may work on your application at any time until it is completed and submitted.
We recommend that you allow four weeks to complete your application. The application requires other individuals to respond to your requests and you need to allow adequate time for their responses. Plus the application requires that you complete several sections and write an essay. Please start your application as early as possible and plan your time accordingly to allow for successful completion.
- Applicants must be high school seniors or undergraduate continuing college students.
- The applicant’s parent or guardian must be a member in good standing of an AFT local union in California.
- The applicant must be listed as a dependent on their parent’s or guardian’s tax return.
- Award selection is based on academic achievement, special talents and skills, participation in extracurricular activities, community service, financial need, and a 500-word essay on a social issue of the applicant’s choice.
- Scholarships are awarded for any one year of higher education: High school seniors who received Raoul Teilhet Scholarships are not eligible for another scholarship as continuing college students. Continuing college students who received a Raoul Teilhet Scholarships are not eligible to apply again.
Advance Planning for Your Application
Complete requirements for each scholarship are detailed in our application portal. However, knowing in advance what documentation and other information you will need may speed your application. Here’s the things to have ready when you apply.
- Transcript: You will need your most recent transcript. High school seniors are asked to provide an official transcript.
- Parent/Guardian Federal Tax Return: The first two pages of your parent’s or guardian’s signed federal tax return are required.
- Member Verification by Parent/Guardian: You will need your parent’s email address.
- Member Verification by AFT Local Union President: You will need the name and email address of your parent’s AFT local union president.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three recommendations are required are required for high school senior applicants, and two recommendations are required for continuing college student applicants. You will need the email addresses of your recommenders.
- Essay: A titled essay on a social issue of the applicant’s choice, not to exceed 500 words.
We recommend that you allow four weeks to complete your application. The application requires other individuals to respond to your requests and you cannot control the timeliness of their responses. Plus the application requires that you complete several sections and write an essay. Please start your application as early as possible and plan your time accordingly to allow successful completion.