In conjunction with Division Councils and Committees
Between Conventions, the State Council makes decisions for the Federation. Policy positions discussed and voted on at meetings of the Division Councils may be ratified by the general membership at the State Council.
All locals may send delegates to State Council. It meets twice yearly in non-Convention years (even-numbered years) and once during a Convention year.
State Council also sits as the CFT Committee on Political Education, or COPE, and reviews ballot propositions and political candidates and their positions on issues. Through COPE, the CFT participates actively in the campaigns of endorsed candidates.
Please register all of the individuals from your local who will be attending the State Council (including the U.S. Senate Forum). The registration deadline is September 29.
Please reserve your lodging at the DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose, 2050 Gateway Place
Room Reservation – CFT rate $149
Hotel registration deadline is September 22.
Tentative Two-Day Event Schedule
|Fri, Oct 13||3 pm –7 pm||Division Councils|
|Council of Classified Employees|
|Community College Council|
|Council of Retired Members|
|Sat, Oct 14||8 am||Breakfast|
|9 am – 3 pm||State Council|
|10:30 am – 12:30 pm||Candidate forum|
Local Voting & Registration
Each local union has one vote at the State Council, per the CFT Constitution, Article V, Section 3. The local delegate may or may not be the local president. Guests and staff are also welcome and encouraged to attend.
Please register all of the individuals from your local who will be attending State Council. When you register, you will be asked if you are a local union delegate, local union guest, local staff member, CFT Executive Council member, or CFT staff member.
- There is a single registration form for all three CFT events.
- Look for our registration link as the event nears!
To assist local unions in sending one representative to the State Council, the CFT reimburses partial travel expenses based on local membership. The reimbursement is defined in the CFT Constitution & Bylaws as follows:
Number of members in local
1000 or more
600 to 999
Fewer than 600
- A local shall be in good standing to receive the reimbursement.
- The CFT will reimburse only one delegate per local.
- Transportation costs include airfare, parking, and mileage to and from the airport. Where airfare is available, mileage is to be no more than airfare. CFT reimburses for mileage at the current IRS rate.
- Meals are not reimbursed.
- All receipts necessary for reimbursement must be included and sent to the CFT Los Angeles County office. The signature of the local president is required.
- To obtain reimbursement for travel expenses to State Council, locals may complete and submit the form below.