Project Organizer – Southern California
Approximate start date: TBD
Location: Los Angeles County Office
Assignment requires considerable travel throughout southern California and occasional travel around the state.
Salary range: $70,720.00 — $76,550.00 (Steps 1-5 on a 6 Step schedule depending on qualiﬁcations and experience), plus full employee fringe beneﬁt package: health, dental and vision plans and retirement program.
Deadline to apply: Open Until Filled
The CFT is the California affiliate of the AFT, AFL-CIO representing education workers in public and private schools and colleges, from early childhood through higher education.
The CFT seeks a Project Organizer located in Southern California to help support internal and external organizing in the state of California. The CFT currently represents school employees, certificated and classified, at every level of public and private education throughout California (preschool and Head Start, K-12, community colleges, private higher education, and the University of California). The philosophy of the CFT is to develop capabilities and expertise at the local level. All staff are expected to work with the CFT leadership to facilitate a sense of organizational identiﬁcation and inclusiveness.
Qualifications and Experience
- Public and private employee, or issue, organizing experience.
- Membership recruitment, or working on campaigns and elections.
- Experience in community, student, labor, or environmental activism is a plus.
- An understanding of education policy, especially in the state of California is desirable.
- The ability to work collaboratively with others, and motivate campaign staff, volunteers and teams of staff members.
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and in a high-pressure environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist and participate in the organizing of new locals into the CFT, and in the day-to-day work of member organizers and volunteers working on CFT organizing campaigns in California.
- Set up and oversee phone banks, Hustle campaigns, Zoom meetings and trainings, and other volunteer organizing activities.
- Assess data and enter collection into a database.
- Organize and plan activities, and set priorities.
- A current California driver’s license and an insured vehicle in good driving condition.
There will be considerable travel around Southern California and occasionally within the state. Some long hours and weekend work will be necessary. The successful candidate will be expected to assist and participate in strategic planning with Locals, as well as in organizing campaigns of the Federation. Organizers are also expected to be effective public speakers, clear and lucid writers, and socially aware citizens of our society.
Employment requires membership in the Project Organizer Union, which is represented by the Field Representative Union. CFT requires proof of vaccination as a condition of employment.
- Email a letter of application, résumé, references and at least three written samples to HR@cft.org.
- If you have questions, please email Sarah Callahan, Executive Director, or phone her at 510-523-5238.
The CFT is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer