Employment starts: Summer 2023
Location: CFT Southern or Northern California Office
Salary range: $92,311.00 to $128,994.00 (Steps 1 – V on step schedule), depending on qualifications and experience, plus benefit package including health, dental, vision, and retirement program
Deadline to apply: May 12, 2023
The CFT is the California affiliate of the AFT, AFL-CIO representing education workers in public and private schools and colleges, from early childhood through higher education.
The Political Organizer role is to provide a stronger political voice for our union members through strengthening political education programs, enlisting political activists and increasing participation in the CFT’s Committee on Political Education (COPE).
Working under the general direction of the CFT president or her/his designee, this position will work in coordination with the organizing, political and legislative departments.
Qualifications and experience
- Understanding of the critical issues and problems facing public education in California and the nation.
- Knowledge of the California legislative process.
- Strong written, communications and analytical skills.
- Ability to persuade policy makers and legislators to move public policy in favor of CFT members’ interests.
- Fundraising experience preferred.
- Experience working with public sector, union, education and/or public interest coalitions preferred.
- Current California driver’s license.
Duties and Responsibilities
CFT locals and membership have developed very high expectations of CFT staff competency. CFT staff are expected to be effective public speakers, clear and lucid writers and socially aware citizens of our society. Working in concert with the CFT president, executive director, political and legislative departments, the Political Organizer will be expected to:
- Develop and implement a plan for increasing CFT’s local unions’ political and legislative activism around key state and federal issues.
- Assist in implementing the CFT political and legislative agenda and programs as well as coordinating with the Political Director and the AFT political goals with each election cycle.
- Increase voluntary COPE contributions and COPE participation by CFT local unions throughout the state.
- Coordinate and assist in the implementation of political mobilization programs with local unions, as well as retiree councils and chapters.
- Strengthen the CFT’s political education program.
- Assist in the implementation of CFT political positions and coordinate political issues and direct-action campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned by the President of CFT or his/her designee.
Membership in the CFT Field Representatives Union is required.
Submit letter of application, resume, references and at least three written samples by:
Email to Human Resources.
If you have any questions, please call Sarah Callahan, Executive Director at 510-523-5238 or email.
The CFT is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.