Position: Field Representative
Employment starts: Approximate Start Date – September 16, 2019
Location: Based in the CFT Sacramento
Salary range: $81,235 – $113,516 (Steps 1–5 on a 10-step schedule, depending on qualifications and experience), plus full employee fringe benefit package: health, dental and vision plans and retirement program.
Deadline to apply: August 2, 2019
The AFT in California represents school employees, certificated and classified, at every level of public and private education — pre-school and Head Start, K-12 public and private schools, community colleges, private higher education, and the University of California.
The philosophy of the CFT is to develop capabilities and expertise at the local level. All staff are expected to do those things that help create a sense of organizational identification and inclusiveness on the part of AFT/CFT leaders and members. The CFT operates a decentralized organization with field representatives assigned to all AFT/CFT locals in specific geographic areas.
Qualifications and experience
- Public and private sector employee collective bargaining experience: organizing, contract development and negotiations, education agency budget analysis, grievance administration and arbitration procedures, working knowledge of public employee collective bargaining laws and national labor relations law and practice, membership recruitment, representational petition campaigns and elections.
- Broad understanding of the critical issues and problems facing education and workers in California and the nation.
- Current California driver’s license.
- Experience as a local leader of the AFT desirable.
- Experience and knowledge with organizing campaigns.
Duties and responsibilities
CFT locals and members have developed a very high expectation of CFT field staff competency. CFT field staff assists AFT/CFT locals in preparing for negotiations and, in some cases, in negotiating contracts. They also work with locals in developing and organizing direct action activities and recruitment campaigns, in union political organization for state and local issues and candidates, and in union administration. They are also expected to be effective public speakers, clear and lucid writers, and socially aware citizens of our society.
Must be able to travel in a broad urban and rural geographic area.
Field staff also organizes education employees into new AFT locals.
Membership in the CFT Field Representatives Union is required.
Submit letter of application, resume, references and at least three samples of the applicant’s written prose to:
California Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
Attn: Leticia Castro
1107 9th Street, Suite 460
Sacramento, CA 95814
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, please call or email Sarah Callahan, Executive Director at 510-523-5238 or email@example.com.
The CFT is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.