Communications Specialist/Communications Organizer
Approximate Start Date: April 2023
Location: Bay Area or Sacramento Office
Salary Range: $92,311 to $128,994 (Steps 1 – V on step schedule), depending on qualifications and experience, plus benefit package including health, dental, vision, and retirement program
Deadline to Apply: March 17, 2023
The CFT is the California affiliate of the AFT, AFL-CIO representing education workers in public and private schools and colleges, from early childhood through higher education.
CFT seeks a Communications Specialist located in northern California, to help support the communication needs of the CFT and its members and affiliates in the state of California. The CFT currently represents school employees, certificated and classified, at every level of public and private education throughout California (preschool and Head Start, K-12, community colleges, private higher education, and the University of California). The philosophy of the CFT is to develop capabilities and expertise at the local level. All staff are expected to work with the CFT leadership to facilitate a sense of organizational identiﬁcation and inclusiveness.
Working under the general direction of the CFT president or their designee, the Communications Specialist for the CFT oversees the digital, online, and social media presence for the union. The Communications Specialist oversees online content development, production, and distribution of all CFT online and print publications and other materials as needed. Working with the Communications Director, the Communications Specialist oversees the integration of editorial content onto the CFT web site. The Communications Specialist, with oversight of the CFT President or designee, works to ensure that editorial content meets the needs of the organization.
Qualifications and Experience
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and multitask in a deadline driven, fast-paced work environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in critical, technical, and design skills to quickly create quality online content
- Experience working in campaign communications
- Experience working in a union environment
- Knowledge of the issues facing education unions in California and on a national level, and the critical issues facing CFT locals and the state federation
- Knowledge of the California political environment
- Ability to secure relevant information and solve problems, make decisions, render judgments and take appropriate action, and work with a minimum supervision
- Ability to train and prepare member spokespeople and to make presentations in training sessions and governance meetings
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Experience in managing and maintaining website content
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with the Communications Director, develop and implement a strategic plan for the editorial content of CFT’s online presence, including social media, online publications, campaign materials, and the CFT website
- Develop a professional and consistent appearance for electronic and print materials
- Oversee the publication of CFT’s online publications, including the development of articles, writing, editing, art direction, design, and production
- Maintain contact with CFT staff and management and with local CFT leaders, council presidents, to develop online content
- Support local unions as needed
- Maintain the editorial content of the CFT website
- Coordinate the print and materials needs of CFT
- Support the CFT convention
- Other duties as assigned
- A current California driver’s license and an insured vehicle in good driving condition.
How to Apply for the Position
- Submit a letter of application, résumé, three references, and three writing samples.
- Email letter and accompanying information to email@example.com.
- CFT requires proof of vaccination as a condition of employment.
Membership in the CFT Field Representatives Union is required.
If you have any questions, please email CFT Executive Director Sarah Callahan, or phone 510-523-5238.
The CFT is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.