Employment starts: Approximate Start Date – TBD upon hiring
Location: CFT Southern or Northern California Office
Salary range: $97,850.00 to $136,734.00 (Steps 1 – V on step schedule), depending on qualifications and experience, plus benefits package including health, dental, vision, and retirement program
Deadline to apply: Opened Until Filled
The CFT is the California affiliate of the AFT, AFL-CIO representing education workers in public and private schools and colleges, from early childhood through higher education.
Under the general direction of the CFT President or designee, the Campaigns Director performs a wide range of tasks covering statewide advocacy, strategic planning, and organizing of campaigns that elevate our members and their work. The primary role of the position is to organize campaigns statewide and locally to implement CFT’s priorities and policies with regard to the rights, responsibilities, and working conditions of educators and classified professionals. The Campaigns Director works with staff and leaders to develop campaigns and works with the labor and educational communities to promote our combined interests.
Qualifications and experience
- Understanding of the critical issues and problems facing public education in California and the nation
- Experience developing and implementing advocacy and strategic campaigns
- Experience coordinating political action activity and coordinating meetings or workshops, and coordinating members to attend, participate, and testify at legislative hearings
- Experience in assisting with organizing
- Experience working with public sector, union, education, and/or public interest coalitions preference
- Strong written, communication, and analytical skills
- Current California Driver’s License
Duties and Responsibilities
CFT locals and members have developed very high expectations of CFT staff competency. CFT staff are expected to be effective public speakers, clear and lucid writers, and socially aware citizens of our society. Working in concert with the CFT President or designee, the Campaigns Director will be expected to:
- Develop and implement advocacy campaigns
- Help coordinate political action activity on key issues
- Coordinate members to attend, participate in, and testify at legislative hearings on behalf of CFT
- Assist with organizing efforts as needed
- Represent the CFT’s positions at a variety of venues and meetings
- Coordinate member meetings or workshops, as assigned, at the state and local level
- Help unify members across units and job classifications at the local and state level
- Attend and provide support to the CFT State Councils and meetings as needed
- Work cooperatively with members and CFT staff to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the position
- Other duties as assigned
Membership in the CFT Field Representatives Union is required. CFT requires proof of vaccination as a condition of employment.
Submit letter of application, resume, references and at least three written samples by:
Email to Human Resources.
If you have any questions, please call Sarah Callahan, Executive Director at 510-523-5238.
The CFT is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.