Administrative Assistant ~ Berkeley Office
Approximate start date: January 3, 2022
Location: Based in the CFT Berkeley Office
Salary range: $27.86 per hour to start, $31.84 per hour after 6 months, and $39.81 per hour after 12 months, plus full employee fringe benefit package including health, dental, and vision plans and retirement program
Deadline to apply: December 7, 2022
The CFT is the California affiliate of the AFT, AFL-CIO representing education workers in public and private schools and colleges, from early childhood through higher education.
The Administrative Assistant, under minimal supervision from the designated supervisor supports CFT departments and directors. The job duties include typing, developing and maintaining calendar and filing systems, answering phones, operating office equipment, maintaining databases, overseeing logistics for conferences and trainings as well as other meetings. The individual prepares conference flyers, materials and brochures, composes routine correspondence, prepares reports and statistical summaries, sets up meetings and takes minutes, prepares mailings and proofreading among other duties. The position requires both interpersonal and organizational skills as well as knowledge of organizing conferences.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Composes routine reports and correspondence
- Opens, routes, sorts and prioritizes mail
- Reviews forms and information submitted to the office for completeness, accuracy and conformance to applicable policies, procedures, and practices
- Acts as a liaison with other offices, members and the public
- Resolves problems and handles non-routine inquiries related to assigned work
- Maintains calendar
- Plans, organizes, schedules, and coordinates major projects from inception to completion
- Types and prepares reports, form letters, flyers, memoranda, statistical summaries and other materials including, but not limited to, specialized reports
- Maintains records, files and other confidential information
- Operates and maintains photocopier, calculator, fax, folding and postage machines
- Maintains inventory of office supplies
- Analyzes existing clerical process to determine more efficient methods and develops and implements revised and/or new clerical processes and procedures
- Searches files for required information, compiles data and prepares reports
- Develops and implements office systems and procedures as needed
- Coordinates the processing and/or production of documents
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- An associate of arts degree or its equivalent in office administration, business administration or a related field AND 2 years of full-time clerical experience applying policies and procedures related to budgeting, contracts and scheduling or 2 years experience working in a political organization, or trade union or 4 years experience in a comparable position. College-level courses in office administration, business administration or related field are desirable.
- Ability to organize and coordinate major projects, through completion
- Vocabulary and proofreading skills
- Ability to critically review source data, detect and correct errors
- Advanced English, spelling, punctuation, grammatical, vocabulary, and proofreading skills
- Ability to work effectively with employees, members and the public
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Advanced operating skills on the computer including Microsoft Office and Google programs
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply rules, policies and procedures
- Interpersonal and problem-solving skills including the ability to provide leadership and technical assistance to others
- Ability to organize, schedule work and follow instructions
- Ability to make non-routine decisions
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Minimal standing related to photocopying and assembling materials
- Repetitive typing motion
- Occasional driving/running errand
- Coordinate and prioritize the workflow of duties
- Operates office equipment
- Types and prepares reports utilizing work processing skills
To Apply for the Position
Submit letter of application and résumé to:
CFT – A Union of Educators and Classified
Leticia Castro, Director of Administrative Services
1107 9th Street, Suite 460
Sacramento, CA 95814
Applications and accompanying information may also be sent electronically to Human Resources.
The successful candidate will be required to join the support staff union, Office and Professional Employees International Union, after 30 days of employment, or pay a representation fee in lieu of membership.
CFT requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
The CFT is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.