Approximate start date: December 1, 2021
Location: Based in the CFT Bay Area office (Berkeley). Assignment requires considerable travel throughout northern California and occasional travel around the state.
Salary range: $60,385–$61,163 (Steps 1-2 on a 4-step schedule) depending on qualiﬁcations and experience, plus full employee fringe beneﬁt package including health, dental, vision plans and retirement program.
Deadline to apply: October 31, 2021
The CFT is the California affiliate of the AFT, AFL-CIO representing education workers in public and private schools and colleges, from early childhood through higher education. The CFT seeks an entry level Project Organizer located in Northern California, to help support internal and external organizing in the state of California.
The CFT represents school employees, certificated and classified, at every level of public and private education throughout California (preschool and Head Start, K-12, community colleges, private higher education, and the University of California). The philosophy of the CFT is to develop capabilities and expertise at the local level. All staff are expected to work with the CFT leadership to facilitate a sense of organizational identiﬁcation and inclusiveness.
Qualifications and Experience
- Public and private employee, or issue, organizing knowledge.
- Membership recruitment, education, engagement, and mobilization skills.
- Experience in community, student, labor, or environmental activism, or working on campaigns and elections is a plus.
- Proficiency in data management, updating group data and calendaring systems.
- An understanding of education policy, especially in the state of California is desirable.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others, and motivate campaign staff, volunteers and teams of staff members.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and in a high-pressure environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist and participate in the organizing of new locals into the CFT, and in the day-to-day work of member organizers and volunteers working on CFT organizing campaigns in California.
- Set up and oversee phone banks, Hustle campaigns, Zoom meetings and trainings and other volunteer organizing activities.
- Assess data and enter collection into a database.
- Conduct individual and group meetings with ability to articulate campaign message effectively and accomplish group objectives, set realistic goals;
There will be considerable travel around northern California and occasionally within the state. Some long hours and weekend work will be necessary. The successful candidate will be expected to assist and participate in strategic planning with Locals, as well as in organizing campaigns of the Federation. Organizers are also expected to be effective public speakers, clear and lucid writers, and socially aware citizens of our society. A current California driver’s license and an insured vehicle in good driving condition is required.
Employment requires membership in the Project Organizer Union, which is represented by the Field Representative Union.
Submit letter of application, resume, references, and at least three samples of the applicant’s written samples by email.
Email Human Resources.
If you have questions, please call Sarah Callahan, Executive Director at 510-523-5238 or email.
The CFT is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.