Employment starts: Approximate start date – July 16, 2020
Location: Based in the CFT Sacramento Office
Salary range: $83,672 to $116,921 (Steps I–V on salary schedule, depending on qualifications and experience), plus benefit package: health, dental and vision plans and retirement program.
Deadline to apply: June 5, 2020
The AFT in California represents school employees, certificated and classified, at every level of public and private education — preschool and Head Start, K-12 public and private schools, community colleges, private higher education, and the University of California.
The Legislative Representative promotes the legislative program of the Federation, advocates on behalf of and defends the interests of CFT members, and assists in developing and implementing the legislative program of the Federation. Participates in the formulation, placement and enactment of certificated and classified employee legislative proposals.
The Legislative Representative works with committees and councils of the CFT to formulate policies and positions on legislation, and works to keep CFT constituent groups informed on the progress of legislation. Prepares written, verbal and electronic reports for the governing bodies of the CFT, constituency groups, CFT publications and website. Represents the CFT before the Legislature, departments and agencies of state government, and at meetings of other organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with committees and councils of the CFT to formulate policies and positions on legislation
- Prepare legislative reports for distribution to and discussion with committees and councils of the Federation
- Prepare, draft and take responsibility for progress of assigned legislation
- Lobby members of the Legislature to secure votes for or against legislation affecting members of the CFT
- Work with other branches of state government to secure support for, or opposition to, legislation
- Represent the CFT in public hearings, forums, conferences and other meetings of legislative bodies, government department and agencies, and other organizations
- Prepare written reports and articles for publication in print and electronic media
- Assist in preparation for and implementation of Federation Lobby Days
- Regularly update progress of legislative bills being tracked by the Federation
- Write correspondence relating to legislation and the Federation’s legislative program
- Work with CFT staff, local unions and regional councils to develop grassroots programs to support the Federation’s legislative agenda
- Coordinate legislative efforts with other Federation departments to maximize the effectiveness of the legislative program
- Work with the California Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO, and other unions to promote the interests of CFT members
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the California legislative process
- Broad general understanding of the critical issues and problems facing public education in California and the nation
- Knowledge of California school finances and the state’s budget process
- Familiarity with the California Education Code
- Knowledge of laws and issues affecting certificated and classified employees
- Knowledge of and experience in the American labor movement, its structure, philosophy and goals
- Knowledge of California and national politics and political parties
- Ability to make public presentations to audiences in a range of venues
- Ability to write clearly and lucidly
- Ability to secure relevant information and solve problems
- Ability to make decisions, render judgments and take appropriate action with minimal supervision
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision
- Ability to work as part of a team and in coalitions
- Ability to work in high pressure environment
- Ability to work rapidly and accurately during peak periods of activity
- Ability to strategize, plan, organize and prioritize activities
- Ability to take charge, direct, develop and coordinate activities
- Ability to make persuasive arguments
- Ability to design and present training sessions
Membership in the CFT Field Representatives Union is required.
Submit letter of application, resume, references and at least three written samples to:
California Federation of Teachers, AFT, AFL-CIO
Attention: Leticia Castro
1107 9th Street, Suite 460
Sacramento, CA 95814
Or email Human Resources.
If you have any questions, please email Executive Director Sarah Callahan, or phone 510-523-5238.
The CFT is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.